Monday, December 11, 2023

Entry#10--The Role of Technology in Education and Learning

I recently received an email that went into great detail about using artificial intelligence or AI to assist with writing and cautioned/warned against using such tools to write for them. This really made me think because I've never been a huge fan of AI and I've never used apps such as Chat GPT for personal use, much less for academia. I know that AI can be used as a tool to assist for things such as grammar and/or spell checking but it seems like a slippery slope and the lines can easily be blurred into using it for writing, solving math and science related problems or just having AI do the work for you. Artificial intelligence is just the latest example of advancements in technology and their role in education and learning. 

Arguably one of the greatest advancements for education within my life, the release of personal use computers and home internet have opened countless options and possibilities when it comes to learning. If there's something you want to learn, the odds are overwhelming that you can find a website or videos online that will show you how to do it. In addition to that, schools for people of all ages have been given the ability to communicate with their peers or teachers and do their coursework outside of school. The ability to do coursework outside of school resonates greatly with me, as I work full time and it's virtually the only way I am able to complete coursework and continue to work and provide for my family at the same time. 

The advances in technology are not without fault, as their have been many drawbacks associated with technology: such as the use of Chat GPT I've already mentioned. While it was most likely intended as a tool to aid with any-and-all things, it's now a huge concern within education, with people continuing to use to cheat and do their work for them. Unfortunately this isn't the only issue with technology in education. Technology is still prone to failure and device issues or internet outages can be beyond detrimental to those who do their coursework at home. There's also little to no social interaction when doing online classes and those much needed social skills are not conditioned when not used as often, which could eventually lead to awkwardness or anxiety when interacting in school or eventually at a job. Lastly, some students need additional guidance and while doing coursework online may add convenience, there's a real possibility of an insufficient learning experience when not taught in a classroom. 

tldr list of pros and cons in technology

Pros

    - endless resources for learning 

    - easily communicate with teachers and students

    - able to study or take classes wherever you have a computer and internet access

    - prepares students for real life expectations after school

Cons

    - makes it easier or more likely to cheat

    - technology is known to fail at times(internet issues and such)

    - less interaction in person (social skills)

    - potential for insufficient learning for students who may need in classroom guidance

This list is by no means all inclusive, these are just some of the things that came to mind when I thought of technology in education. I'm sure other people have had or are familiar with other positive aspects or negative issues within this topic and I'd be interested in hearing other perspectives on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry#10--The Role of Technology in Education and Learning

I recently received an email that went into great detail about using artificial intelligence or AI to assist with writing and cautioned/warn...